|“L’Arche is part of a worldwide network of over 140 communities where men and women with intellectual disabilities and those who support them share life together. Every year, L’Arche communities welcome “assistants” who come to live, work and create home with people with intellectual disabilities. Often called “the school of the heart,” L’Arche is a dynamic example of how people of different intellectual capacity, social origin and culture can live together. L’Arche strives to shape a more human and just society where each person’s gifts are known and celebrated. For more information visit http://www.larche.ca.|
|Posted: October 1, 2021 Position: Permanent Casual Assistant||Start date: Immediate Duration: Ongoing|
|Location: Sudbury Availability: Days, Evenings, Weekends||Salary: To be determined, and benefits to be determined as eligible Hours of work: Variable, as needed|
L’Arche Sudbury is seeking an energetic and compassionate individual for the role of Casual Relief Worker to support people with intellectual disabilities. Successful applicants will belong to a community setting, learn new skills, and develop meaningful relationships. The successful candidate will gain valuable life skills and opportunities for personal growth and leadership. You will share your energy with the people you will be supporting in various challenging and fun ways, from household tasks, accompanying someone to an appointment, helping someone prepare for the day, cooking a meal together, to enjoying a good concert, and developing long lasting relationships.
Together with other members of the house team, the Casual Relief Worker is responsible for the support, care and well-being of the individuals with disabilities at the house and day-to-day life in the home. The Casual Relief Worker is an effective member of the house team and L’Arche community.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide respectful and high-quality direct care supports and skill building for Core Members in areas including: personal care needs, life goals, money management, medical care and medication, appointments, family and work connections, household chores and meal preparation.
- Help plan and participate in inclusive celebrations and traditions in the home that are representative of house members.
- Support, respect and participate in house traditions and the spiritual life of the house and community.
- Keep up-to-date and accurate records in all areas as directed: financial, medical, daily journals, medication, etc.
- Assist House Leader in ensuring maintenance and upkeep of physical home, garden, vehicle(s), and all house equipment and supplies.
- Actively participate in regular and consistent schedule of individual supervisory meetings, team meetings, house meetings and circles of learning.
- Participate in reviews and goal setting according to set processes
- Collaborate with house leader as well as with other assistants in home to complete household duties including but not limited to: shopping, cleaning, cooking, laundry, transportation, yard work, etc.
- Adhere to all policies, guidelines, regulations, and safety and emergency procedures
- Be attentive and responsible for own health and well-being
- DSW or equivalent schooling or work experience in a related field.
- Ability to clear a Criminal Reference check including vulnerable sector screening
- Current First Aid & CPR certification
- Open to and willing to learn L’Arche history, values and vision
- Welcoming and respectful of differences, team player
- Ability to take direction and follow-through on commitments in timely fashion
- Fluent in spoken and written English and able to effectively articulate thoughts and ideas in a team setting. Ability to speak French considered an asset
- Valid Driver’s licence required considered an asset
- Flexible work schedule and availability including evenings, weekends and over-nights
How to Apply:
Please apply with a resume and cover letter to the attention of our Hiring Committee
1173 Rideau Street